On Common Ground: Rodenticides, an unnecessary poison. Malibu Surfside News, June 27, 2017
Malibu Follows Topanga Example of Eliminating Pesticide Use, Topanga Messenger, July 14, 2016
Oak Park schools won’t use any pesticides unless it’s an emergency, Ventura County Star, July 6, 2016
Meet the mountain lions of Los Angeles, CBS 60 Minutes, Jan. 14, 2016
Ban rat poisons in California! Wildlife advocacy group explains why, San Jose Mercury, Nov. 19, 2015
It’s Official: Bobcat Trapping Banned in California, KCET, Nov. 18, 2015
Here are articles on the death of Mountain Lion P-34 September 2015 from ingesting five different rodent poisons, both 1st and 2nd generation anticoagulants:
• Puma found dead in Point Mugu State Park killed by rat poisons, Los Angeles Times, November 10, 2015.
• Editorial on P-34 death – Rat poison is killing more than rats, Los Angeles Times, November 12, 2015.
• Readers React Once considered intruders, pumas have endeared themselves to L.A., Los Angeles Times, November 14, 2015.
• Rodenticide debate heats up in wake of wildlife deaths, Thousand Oaks Acorn, December 03, 2015.
• Mountain Lion Was Exposed to Multiple Poisons, Tests Show, National Park Service Press Release on P-34 Poisoning, November 10, 2015.
• Editorial: It’s Time to Stop Destroying California Wildlife with Rat Poison, Ventura County Star, November 13, 2015.
Pot Growers’ Rat Poisons Hurting Wildlife More Than Expected, KCET, Nov. 4, 2015
Newbury Park community in hot pursuit of sick-looking bobcat, Thousand Oaks Acorn, Oct. 29, 2015
Rodenticide Poisons Mountain Lion at Point Mugu, Malibu Times, Oct. 2015.
Deaths of Young Mountain Lions Illustrate Challenges to Survival, National Park Service, Oct. 9, 2015.
District Procedural Breakdown Blamed for Gopher Issue, Malibu Times, Oct. 2015
Citywide rodenticide ban gains traction at ZORACES meeting, Malibu Surfside News, Oct. 6, 2015.
Three articles by Poison Free Malibu in the San Fernando Valley Sierra Club Newsletters, Oct. 2015
Bobcat’s illness attributed to rodenticide, Thousand Oaks Acorn, Oct. 1, 2015.
Risk of Rodent Poison Pollution is Increased with Forecasted El Nino, The Local (page 7), Aug. 2015
– “Why California’s Ban on Retail Sale of Toxic Rat Poisons Isn’t Enough”
Very important comment on the new California Department of Pesticide Regulation rules banning consumer purchase and use of 2nd generation anticoagulant rodenticides by Lisa Viani of Raptors are the Solution (see above for her websites).
– “The Devil is in the D-Con”
After the maker of D-Con Reckitt Benckiser’s requested injunction against the July 1, 2014 start date for the CDPR’s new rules was turned down, they threw in the towel also in their fight against the EPA’s national rules (which are weaker than California’s). Here is an article explaining why this is only a partial victory.
10000birds.com/the-devil-is-in-the-d-con.htm– Malibu Times article, July 24, 2014, on Poison Free Malibu’s recent activities: www.malibutimes.com/news/article_91517934-129f-11e4-9db1-0019bb2963f4.html
– “MROSD concerned about rodenticide’s effect on local bobcats” from the Coastsider, March 31, 2014, a local newspaper for coast north of Santa Cruz. The mange epidemic has reached there and bobcats are disappearing from where they were once abundant.
-“Poison kills more than the intended animal” from the Lake Tahoe News, January 9, 2014. Hits the nail on the head on how homeowners must be conscious of what the poisons are doing.
– “Rodenticides, lack of space threaten local wildlife” from the Malibu Times, January 2, 2013. Threats to mountain lions, bobcats, and other predators in Malibu area.
Steve Scauzillo is a great journalist on the environment for the Los Angeles News Group. Mentions Malibu and Whittier, and the hope that the model of Malibu will spread the work throughout Los Angeles County.
– “Cities, EPA moving to curb use of rat poison linked to bobcat deaths” from the San Gabriel Valley Tribune from July 15, 2013.
Linda Richards is another great journalist, for the Redlands Daily Facts.
– “Rodent poisons and our ailing wildlife” April 9, 2013.
– “Rodent Poison in the Garden Can Harm Wildlife” August 19, 2013.
– “Rodent Poisons: What Communities are Doing” October 14, 2013.
Ventura County Star article about our effort in Malibu. July 20, 2013. Good quotes from Seth Riley (National Park Service), Linda Parks (Ventura County Supervisor), and John Sibert (Malibu City Council).
– “Group urges elected officials to take stand against rat poison to protect wildlife”
Sacramento Bee. March 22, 2014. Hard-hitting editorial about the new California Department of Pesticide Regulation rules banning consumer use of 2nd generation anticoagulant rodenticides.
Editorial: “California is Right to Pull d-Con Rat Poison From the Shelves”
Rat Poisons Endanger 10,000 Children Every Year in the U.S., Scientific American, Dec. 14, 2010
Weed Killer, Long Cleared, Is Doubted, Glyphosate/RoundUp “probably” causes cancer according to the World Health Organization. New York Times, March 27, 2015.
Glyphosate – Misery in a Bottle
Los Angeles Progressive newsletter. Comprehensive article about the effects of glyphosate by our own pathobiologist Stephen Frantz. Here also is a Youtube movie by Dr. Frantz: Talk by Dr. Stephen Frantz